This agreement commenced in 2023. It is a three-year agreement (2023-2025).
Institutions participating in this agreement have access to over 1,660 subscription-based journal titles in the ScienceDirect Freedom Collection and affiliated authors can publish their articles open access in these hybrid titles without paying article processing charges (APCs).
Gold open access titles: eligible corresponding authors will receive a discount on Elsevier’s gold open access portfolio of titles.
Read more about this agreement here.
- Agricultural Research Council
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Central University of Technology
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
- Durban University of Technology
- Mangosuthu University of Technology
- Nelson Mandela University North-West University
- Rhodes University
- Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
- Sol Plaatje University
- South African Medical Research Council
- Stellenbosch University
- Tshwane University of Technology
- University of Cape Town
- University of fort Hare
- University of Johannesburg
- University of KwaZulu-Natal
- University of Limpopo
- University of Mpumalanga
- University of Pretoria
- University of South Africa
- University of the Free State
- University of the Western Cape
- University of the Witwatersrand
- University of Venda
- University of Zululand
- Vaal University of Technology
- Walter Sisulu University
Number of included articles
There is a cap on the number of articles that can be published by authors affiliated with participating institutions. For the three years of the agreement the article entitlements are:
- 2023: 2 221 articles
- 2024: 2 407 articles
- 2025: 2 610 articles
The entitlements are shared across the consortium and are allocated on a first come, first served basis.